Mt. APO via Kapatagan - Kidapawan Trail


Reaching the Philippines highest peak is every local mountaineer’s goal. This August 2010 I have too many things to celebrate – among them is my birthday and 10th anniversary in climbing mountains. I gave myself a special gift by conquering Mountains of Mindanao and Mt. APO is first on the list via the scenic route of Kapagatan – Kidapawan trail. Soaring at 2,956 masl – APO is the grand father of all Philippine mountains.

Day 1 – 15 August 2010

I started my first solo conquest at 0400H for a 1 hour and 45 minute flight to Davao. It was drizzling when I arrived at Davao International Airport – not a good sign for me but I have no other choice but to proceed. I took a cab to Ecoland Bus Terminal where GenSan bound buses are available to drop me to Digos Bus stop at around 0900H. My guide Ronel Mamac waited for me at the bus stop with the Habal-habal to take us to Sitio Baras in Kapatagan.

Sitio Baras Check Point

I was able to obtain my climbing permit in less than 5 minutes unlike what nomadicpinoy.com have mentioned on his blog. I just handed my letter of intent, logged in to climbers log book and paid 720 pesos and I was good to go. After the early lunch with my guide and porter at Kapatagan Market, we took another Habal-habal ride to the jump off point in Sitio Mainit – this part was so extreme! Clap clap clap to the driver for handling his motor bike safely with four of us on board.


Muddy and Slippery Kapatagan Trail
Paradise Junction
Camp Baroring

We started to trek at around 1130H via the muddy and slippery trail and finally reached the first camp site – the godi-godi at around 1600H. Enough time to set-up the tent, cook dinner. I went to sleep at around 1800H after sleep deprivation and to prepare for the big day ahead. The temperature dropped at 12˚C for the night – far from Manila’s 30˚C heat.


Day 2 – 16 August 2010

Second day was faced with a cup of hot swiss miss at around 0530H - enough to keep me warm from the early morning chill. I was surprised that we had the camp site for ourselves alone – August is not a climbing season for APO! For the first time, I had my first clear view of Mt Apo’s boulders from the camp site. I was so glad that after the drizzling day 1, I have a sunny day 2 ahead.

Morning at Godi-Godi

We left camp 1 at around 0830H and after 30 minutes of ascend from the forested area an open view of the Digos’ peak, sulfur vents and boulder formations. I had most of my exposed skin burnt from this part but it was fun. Edible wild berries grow abundantly along the boulder trail along with other bonsai plants that will keep you think how it survived in this harsh environment.


Digos Peak
Boulders and Sulfur Vents
Sulfur Vents85 degree wall to Dead Crater

Dead Crater

After about 2 hours of bouldering with the smell of a rotten egg from the sulfur vents I was able to reach “boracay” prior assaulting the 85˚ wall to the dead crater. From the crater, summit camp is only about 30 minutes away and finally I was able to set camp at around 1230H.


Oblation at the peak
Rock formation at the summit camp
Lake Venado from the peak

I had enough time to go peak hopping alone and pose for the oblation shots while my guide and porter stayed back at the camp to prepare our early dinner. This is where I had the first glimpse of Lake Venado. At around 1600H, a small group of climbers arrived via Sta Cruz trail – after all I won’t have the mountain for myself. At around 1700H, I trekked back to the summit but got disappointed that fog started to form that no picture perfect sunset view for me. I hit the sack at around 1900H after eating the early dinner of crab and corn soup and adobong baboy. Temperature dropped rapidly down to 8˚C. Rain started to pour at around 2100H that deprived me more of my sleep – but thank God I was able to rest well for the third day.


Day 3 – 17 August 2010

On the third day, again swiss miss saved me from the early morning chill. I started peak hopping for the best sunrise view at around 0530H. First I ascended the Davao Peak (I’m not sure if this is the highest peak) where the sun rises. After 10 minutes, I trekked to the Kidapawan peak where sea of clouds formed at the back ground.


Sea of clouds from the peak


We stated to descend at 0700H via Kidapawan Trail. After 1 hour and 30 minutes knee wrecking descent we reached Lake Venado. A picture perfect landscape view greeted me with a clear blue sky as the back drop. After taking some post card type photos I decided to continue with my descent towards Lake Agko. This part of my trip pushed my knees to its limit. This trail offers river crossing where I have to remove my shoes and wear slippers instead. After 5 hours of agonizing trek I finally ended my conquest to Mt. APO.


Peak from the trail going to VenadoVenado Trees
With my guide Ronel and porter Dodong at Lake Venado

Stairs along Kidapawan TrailRest at Marble River

River at Marble RiverMarble River

"Mainit" Hot SpringEnd of trek!!!

I stayed at Lake Agko Resort for the night to pamper my tired feet and back after days of trekking. Room rate is at 300/night exclusive of breakfast or dinner.


Expenses:

Taxi from Airport to Ecoland Bus - 150

Bus from Davao to Digos – 60

Habal-habal from Digos – Kapatagan – 600

Habal-habal from Kapatagan – Brgy Mainit – 100/pax

Registration fee at Sitio Baras – 720

Guide – 500/day

Porter – 300/day

Lake Agko room – 300/night

Habal-Habal from Lake Agko to Kidapawan – 80/pax

Van from Kidapawan to Davao - 160


Contacts:
Guide: Ronel Mamac - 09197515988

Read more »